When you use both auto-tagging and manual tagging in your Google Ads campaigns, then a tag overlapping problem occurs. In this case, OWOX BI will follow specific rules while processing data. Learn more below.
Tracking values in hit data
OWOX BI processes the hit data as follows:
- If an ad URL contains the filled GCLID and UTM source/medium (and optionally, UTM campaign, keyword, and adContent), then OWOX BI records the UTM values into the corresponding fields of the hit data tables. The GCLID parameter is ignored.
- If an ad URL doesn’t contain UTM source/medium, yet does contain the filled GCLID, then OWOX BI records the values google/cpc into the corresponding fields of the hit data tables.
The values google/cpc corresponds exactly to the Google Analytics processing flow.
- If an ad URL doesn’t contain UTM campaign, keyword, and adContent, then OWOX BI records the value (not set) into the corresponding fields of the hit data tables.
Tracking values in session data
- If you select “Manual tagging”, then OWOX BI uses the exact values from the hit data tables to collect user sessions.
The session source/medium is based on the corresponding values of the last hit in that session.
- If you select “Auto-tagging” and an ad URL contains the filled GCLID, then OWOX BI uses the values google/cpc to collect user sessions.
ImportantTo collect data on advertisements with auto-tagging, the GCLID value should be as follows:
Any other formats of GCLID value (for example, gclid*XXXX) will not be processed and written to the session data tables.
Please take a look at an example:
An ad URL contains the filled GCLID and UTM source=111, medium=222. The data upload priority is set to “Auto-tagging” in your pipeline settings. Therefore, OWOX BI will record the next values into the tables:
- hit data tables — traffic.source = 111 and traffic.medium = 222;
- session data tables — trafficSource.source = google and trafficSource.medium = cpc.