You need access to Google BigQuery, a cloud data warehouse, to use most OWOX BI features. This storage is configured in the Google Cloud project. It means you have to create a GCP project first (free trial available). And if it has already been created, you need to add users and select an access level (permissions) in the settings.
Create a Google Cloud project
1. Go to cloud.google.com and click Get for free. Enter your details and payment card info.
If you add your payment card during the registration, Google provides you with free trial credits for Cloud Platform services. Note, Google won’t withdraw any funds from your card without your confirmation. You will be charged $1 to check your card. This one dollar will be returned as soon as everything is OK.
2. As soon as your free trial is active, go to the Google Cloud Platform main page and click Select a project:
3. In the pop-up window, click the + button to add a new project:
4. On the project creation screen, choose the name and ID for your project, your billing account, organization, and location that the project will be associated with. Then click Create:
5. You’ll get a notification that the project has been created. The link in the notification leads to the project:
6. Done. Google BigQuery is enabled and working in your GCP project automatically.
Provide access to your BigQuery data to the people who will work with it
Data sources in OWOX BI can only be managed by the users who:
- have access to the GCP project where the source data is being stored;
- have two roles: "BigQuery Data Editor" and "BigQuery User".
That's why you should provide the right access to the people who will work with your data in OWOX BI. If you manage all data in OWOX BI by yourself, skip this step and check that your user has the correct roles selected.
How to add a user and configure the necessary access
1. On the GCP left panel, find IAM & admin. In the drop-down menu, click IAM:
2. On the IAM (Identity and Access Management) screen, click Add:
3. In the pop-up, enter the email of the person (one or more) who you want to grant access to. As a Role, select BigQuery > BigQuery Data Editor and BigQuery User:
Read about the accesses for each role in the Google BigQuery documentation.
Once you have granted the users these roles, they can manage data from BigQuery in OWOX BI.
How to edit access for a previously added user
1. If in the list of users, you see that the user doesn't have enough access level to work with Google BigQuery data, click on the Edit icon in line with this user's name.
2. In the pop-up, add two roles for this user: BigQuery> BigQuery Data Editor and BigQuery User.
3. Then click the Save button. Now, in the list of users, the newly edited user will have new roles.
Useful linkRead more about setting up a Google Cloud Platform project in Google documentation.