OWOX User ID is an additional user identifier available in the Google Analytics→Google BigQuery pipeline.
Previously, OWOX BI users could use only the Client ID and User ID parameters to anonymously identify users. This had put certain limitations on site audience analysis and on the time Google Analytics had stored cookie files.
OWOX User ID helps overcome these limitations.
How it works
When collecting user behavior data from your website in the Google Analytics→Google BigQuery pipeline, OWOX BI creates its own cookie file. The cookie contains a unique anonymous ID for each identified user.
In data tables, the OWOX User ID values are being stored in the userOwoxId field:
What else you should know about OWOX User ID:
- These IDs are created by OWOX BI upon receiving the first hit event from a user
- OWOX BI stores the created ID across domains and subdomains and never replaces or deletes it
- The expiration time for the cookies is 2 years. After that, the OWOX User ID file will be automatically deleted
What can you do with OWOX User ID
Here are some examples of how you can use OWOX User ID:
- Have access to relevant anonymous user IDs in cases when Google Analytics cookies are replaced or deleted
- Track customer journeys more accurately thanks to a single ID representing each user
- Analyze how audiences overlap across domains in different Google Analytics→Google BigQuery pipelines
OWOX User ID does not compromise your data in any way. Please note that:
- OWOX BI does not process, analyze or otherwise use the data you collect
- Audience overlapping can be viewed by OWOX User ID only within your own pipelines
- It’s impossible to explore how audiences on your website overlap the audiences on the websites of other OWOX BI users
How to manage OWOX User ID collection
The OWOX User ID collection is active by default.
If you want to turn it off:
1. Open the Settings tab on your Google Analytics→Google BigQuery pipeline page in OWOX BI Pipeline. On this tab, click the menu button in the upper right corner:
2. Uncheck Collect OWOX User ID:
Notice: Safari web browser, starting with version 11, uses internal algorithms that can delete third-party cookie files after 24 hours since the moment they were created. Without the part of Safari users who had their cookie files deleted by the browser, you won’t be able to accurately analyze your site’s audience overlapping.