You can enrich your user sessions data collected via the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline with the raw ad cost data from your Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline.
Connect Google Analytics → Google BigQuery and Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipelines to get your raw Yandex.Direct ad cost data automatically uploaded to cost and session data tables and have your session cost attributed.
We recommend using this feature if:
- You upload ad cost data from Yandex.Direct to Google Analytics, and the amount of the data exceeds Google Analytics's 90MB per date limit which prevents some of it from getting to GA
- You are using the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline for user behavior data storage and session cost attribution
- You want to consider all the Yandex.Direct ad costs for session cost attribution
- You measure your ad channels' efficiency based on cost data collected to BigQuery with the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline
How does it work
Instead of uploading data from Yandex.Direct to Google Analytics first, you can send them straight to the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline — without the 90MB per date limitation.
To do this, you need to:
- Set up the Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline.
- This pipeline collects raw ad cost data into a dedicated Google BigQuery dataset, without any limitations on the data upload.
- In the same OWOX BI project, have a Google Analytics → Google BigQuery user behavior data pipeline and a cost data pipeline from GA to BigQuery (the latter is created automatically when you set up a user behavior data pipeline).
- Connect the Yandex.Direct pipeline with the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline. Read below in this article how to set up the connection.
If you have a Yandex.Direct → Google Analytics pipeline already exporting ad cost data, don’t worry — the data won’t duplicate in your BigQuery. OWOX BI will automatically replace the data from this pipeline with the more complete Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline data.
Important:If you upload Yandex.Direct ad cost data to Google Analytics in any other way than via an OWOX BI pipeline, the Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline will not replace the previously uploaded cost data. As a result, you’ll get duplicated data in your “CostData_” tables which will affect the data quality.
To avoid this, make sure your Google Analytics property doesn’t contain any Yandex.Direct cost data that wasn’t uploaded via an OWOX BI Yandex.Direct → Google Analytics pipeline.
Important:To connect the cost data correcty, make sure your Yandex.Direct currency setting is the same as in your Google Analytics view you've selected when creating the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery pipeline.
For example, if the Yandex.Direct currency is EUR, the GA view must have the currency set to EUR as well. If the currencies are different, the cost data figures from Yandex will get the currency from the GA view. This means that if GA has the currency set as USD, then 1 EUR from Yandex.Direct will become 1 USD, no conversion.
How to connect the pipelines
- Set up a Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline to collect raw ad cost data into a dedicated Google BigQuery dataset.
- Go to the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery cost data pipeline you want to connect. To find the pipeline you need, open the user behavior pipeline where you want to attribute the cost data to sessions, then click on this link:
- On the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery cost data pipeline page, click Select pipelines:
- Select the Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipelines which data you want to send to the current Google Analytics → Google BigQuery cost data pipeline:
- Click Save changes.
Done. The pipelines are connected. Now, the Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline sends data both to the dedicated Google BigQuery dataset and to the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery cost data pipeline.
You can check the uploaded data in the “CostData_” tables collected by the Google Analytics → Google BigQuery cost data pipeline. OWOX BI automatically sends ad cost data from these tables to the “owoxbi_sessions_” tables, where costs are being attributed to corresponding user sessions.
OWOX BI regularly updates all the data the connected pipelines upload to BigQuery. This happens if the information in the ad service account had been updated retrospectively. First, OWOX BI updates the data uploaded by the Yandex.Direct → Google BigQuery pipeline, then we update the “CostData_” tables.
The actualization period is 21 days. This means that 21 days after the initial import, the cost data in Google BigQuery will be exactly the same as in the Yandex.Direct account.
Note:The pipeline connection feature is currently in the open beta status. Due to this, some non-critical lags in the pipeline’s data upload and update are expected.
Historical data update
You can retrospectively update the historical Yandex.Direct ad cost data in the connected pipelines’ “CostData” and “owoxbi_sessions_” tables — from now back to September 10, 2019.
The historical data update is an additional on-demand service and it’s billed additionally. To learn more about it and request a historical data update, please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.