Note:On September 1, 2020, the changes in rules for calculating billable unique users will become active: the subscription plan billing will be considering unique users from all the user data pipelines in your OWOX BI project. Learn more
In this article:
- What is a unique user in OWOX BI
- How unique users are identified and calculated
- How unique users are calculated if you use BigQuery Export for Google Analytics 360
- How unique users are calculated in OWOX BI projects with more than one pipeline
- What happens if a project exceeds the subscription plan's unique users limit
- How to check the current number of unique users processed in your OWOX BI projects
A unique user is a website visitor who is associated with a unique identifier and whose BigQuery data has been processed in OWOX BI within one month. User identifiers can vary — we will outline them later in this article.
OWOX BI processes unique users’ data in two cases:
1) When you use OWOX BI Pipeline to stream data to Google BigQuery from one of these services:
- Google Analytics
2) When you use OWOX BI Attribution and/or OWOX BI Smart Data with BigQuery Export for Google Analytics 360 data.
The processing of user data is included in OWOX BI subscription plans. If the number of unique users processed within one month exceeds the number provided in your plan, you’ll be charged additionally. For plan limit details, read this article.
Unique users are calculated only in the following pipelines of OWOX BI Pipeline:
How unique users are calculated
|Google Analytics → Google BigQuery||
Unique User ID and/or Client ID *
Note: Only the userId (&uid) parameter values are used for calculation here. The userId values sent in custom dimensions are not taken into account.
SparkPost → BigQuery
Mandrill → BigQuery
UniOne → BigQuery
|Unique email address|
|BigQuery Export for Google Analytics 360 data in OWOX BI Attribution||
Unique userId, fullVisitorId, and User ID from a custom dimension (customDimensions.value of customDimensions.index)
* — If more than one user (identified by different Client IDs) had logged in using the same User ID, they count as one user.
The exceptions are 1) users that weren't logged in and 2) User IDs that have more than 100 different Client IDs associated with them. In these cases, unique users are identified only by the Client ID.
In the cases when you are exporting your Google Analytics 360 data using the BigQuery Export feature and then use it in OWOX BI Attribution and OWOX BI Smart Data, unique users are calculated by these parameters:
- User IDs obtained from a custom dimension (customDimensions.value of customDimensions.index)
If your OWOX BI project has more than one data pipeline, the current subscription plan considers the unique users of all data pipelines during the reporting period (month).
Your OWOX BI project has two website user behavior data pipelines, one AppsFlyer pipeline, and an OWOX BI Attribution model based on the BigQuery Export data from Google Analytics 360. At the end of the billing period, you get these unique users processing statistics:
Website user behavior data → Google BigQuery pipelines
50,000 + 40,000 = 90,000 unique users
AppsFlyer → BigQuery
10,000 unique users
BigQuery Export data from Google Analytics 360 as a data source for an attribution model
40,000 unique users
All the unique users processed in the OWOX BI project considers in billing: 90,000 + 10,000 + 40,000 = 140,000 unique users.
Important: If you have in your project more than one pipeline of the same type (for example, Google Analytics → Google BigQuery), the number of unique users you'll be charged for will be summarized.
Note: Unique users are calculated each day in the UTC time zone, thus the count of users a day may vary depending on your time zone.
The cost of processing extra unique users above the subscription limit is:
- In the Marketing Data plan: $3 per each 1,000 extra users
- In the Reports & Attribution plan: $4.5 per each 1,000 extra users
To view the statistics on the unique users processed during the current and previous months, go to Project Settings in the left-side menu; click the Data usage tab.
On the Data usage screen, you can choose the reporting period, the month you want to see the statistics for.