Video: How to set up a cost data import pipeline from advertising services to Google Analytics
Note: Before creating the pipeline, make sure you've made all the required settings in your Google Analytics account.
To set up the automatic cost data import you need:
Step 1: In the pipeline setup, select the ad service you want to export cost data from
Step 2: Add/select your access to the advertising service
Step 3: Add/select the access to your Google Analytics account
Step 4: Select the Google Analytics property and data set
This must be the GA property you want to import your cost data to. The imported data will be available for reporting in all views connected to this data set.
Step 5: Specify additional settings
VAT to exclude
- While cost data imported from Google Ads and a number of other ad services doesn't include VAT by default, for some ad services, you need to exclude VAT when setting up a pipeline. This will ensure that you get an accurate analysis of comparable metrics from all your ad services.
- You can change VAT rate at any time later on by going to the Settings tab on the pipeline page.
- Some of the advertising services, when executing requests to their API, return data on costs without taxes, so the step VAT to exclude in the settings of such pipelines is absent.
Select Google Analytics view
- If the currencies in your ad service account and Google Analytics view are different, the costs are automatically converted to the currency of the selected view using the Open Exchange Rates API, so you would have all your cost data in one currency.
- The conversion from Yandex units to a Google Analytics view currency is described in this article.
- If the currency of your ad service and the currency of your GA view match, then the costs are uploaded without any conversions.
- The timezone is also synchronized with your GA view settings, so you have all the data data in the same timezone.
Step 6: Click Create pipeline
Done. Now cost data from the advertising service will be automatically uploaded to your Google Analytics property.
The data is available in the Google Analytics within 36 hours for the Marketing Data, Reports & Attribution, and Enterprise subscription plans. For the plan Start, data export may take a little more time.
The data is uploaded in two steps:
- It takes up to 12 hours to import and process the data in OWOX BI service after the data is available on the advertising platform.
- After successful upload and once processing has completed, it can take up to 24 hours before the data becomes available in reports.