The new OWOX BI sessionization algorithm retrieves information about the traffic sources from AdWords data tables in Google BigQuery. In the cases of AdWords auto-tagging, the information will be retrieved using the GCLID parameter.
There are multiple options you can use to obtain the information for AdWords campaigns in your session data tables:
- Configure automatic transfer of Adwords reporting data into Google BigQuery using the Google BigQuery Data Transfer Service,
- set up automatic export of AdWords reports using Adwords Script, or
- add URL parameters manually, without auto-tagging.
Fields retrieved from AdWords reporting data tables in Google BigQuery:
Using Google BigQuery Data Transfer Service
You can activate automatic data transfers from AdWords to BigQuery using the BigQuery Data Transfer Service for Google AdWords. To do this, take the following steps:
- Complete the BigQuery DTS Beta Enrollment form to activate the Data Transfer service.
- Set up automatic data transfer into Google BigQuery, as described in the documentation.
- In the streaming session stream interface, specify the project and data set that are used to retrieve reports from BigQuery Data Transfer.
Note that you must create a separate transfer for each AdWords account you're using. AdWords Manager Accounts are not supported.
Using AdWords Scripts
You can use the following two scripts to export AdWords Reports into BigQuery:
Copy the source code and change the following fields:
- BIGQUERY_PROJECT_ID — the ID of the BigQuery project, e.g., ‘owox-adwords-******’. You can find the ID in the Google Cloud Platform console.
- BIGQUERY_DATASET_ID — the ID of the data set, e.g., ‘adwords_data’.
- TRUNCATE_EXISTING_TABLES — Set to false to append data to existing tables.
- DEFAULT_DATE_RANGE — The default date range over which statistics fields are retrieved, e.g., ‘20170701,20170730’ (you can specify the date range in the future). You can find the list of valid date range types in the AdWords API documentation. When setting the date range, keep in mind that AdWords may apply changes to its statistics over 1-2 months back from the current date.
- REPORTS — the list of reports to retrieve from AdWords. The full list of supported report and field types is provided in the documentation.
If you use AdWords auto-tagging, make sure that you have your AdWords data transferred to Google BigQuery. Otherwise the information about traffic sources won't be available in session data tables.
If you use multiple AdWords accounts, you need to set up automatic data transfer into Google BigQuery for each of your AdWords accounts, in order to receive correct ad campaign data in session data tables.
The following fields from AdWords CLICK_PERFORMANCE_REPORT will be used in session data tables:
You can use AdWords Scripts to retrieve any supported fields you need, in addition to those listed above.